[FFmpeg-devel] Hello,

Jean-Daniel Dupas devlists
Thu Jul 16 21:40:48 CEST 2009

Le 16 juil. 09 ? 21:29, Alex Converse a ?crit :

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Jean-Daniel
> Dupas<devlists at shadowlab.org> wrote:

>>> I'd rather improve our own code if it is incomplete.  Can you
>>> elaborate on what it's missing?
>>
>>> <big elephant in the room> Why native Mac OS X API? </big elephant
>>> in the
>>> room>
>>

>> I will answer the two questions.
>>
>> First, an alias as defined by the Mac OS File Manager reference is
>> a blob of
>> "data that is private to the Alias Manager". There is absolutely no
>> guarantee about what it contains. And so, the native API is the
>> only futur
>> proof and reliable way to resolve it. That why I suggest to use it
>> when
>> available.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I'm not again the idea to improve the actual code to get support for
>> relative path (and maybe inode) (by reverse engineering the content
>> of the
>> blob), but I thought it would be fine to use the most reliable way
>> when
>> possible.
>>

> Do you know how QuickTime for Windows deals with such files?
>
> Also 14496-12:2008 defines dref so it must exist in some sort of
> portable manner. Or is the MOV version of it some sort of crazy
> extended version with lots of Apple specific craziness?
>
> Also, thanks for your work thus so far.

The QuickTime Library probably contains some function to deal with
Alias.
The mpeg 4 standard specify that you should use URL (either relative
or absolute) in dref elements.
Alias are an Apple extension and so, I don't mind if the Alias support
is not commit in the trunk. It was just a suggestion.
I never saw an mpeg 4 file with dref/url but if this is (commonly)
used, it may be worth to implement it.