[FFmpeg-devel] XVID Keyframes setting

Ben Baker-Smith bbakersmith
Thu Jul 16 20:40:27 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have been trying for weeks now to find the answer to this question,
so perhaps someone here can help.

When you select "xvid ffmpeg" as the video codec in the GUI, a
"Keyframe" box appears in "options" menu.  This box is different, both
visually and functionally from the "Keyframes" and "GOP" boxes for
some of the other codecs.

I need to be able to access this same function from the command line,
but cannot figure out how to replicate its effects.

Basically, I need to be able to set a minimum GOP size, minimum
keyframe interval, or regulate absolutely the frequency of keyframes
(no automatic scene changes, etc.).
Therefore, -g does not work for what I need it to, as it really just
sets a maximum GOP, not an absolute or minimum GOP.

-sc_threshold and -keyint_min do the trick for x264, but I need this
to be done in XviD.  I wish I could just use x264, but that is not an
option.

Please please please help me figure this out.  It is really
frustrating to have it work in the GUI, but not be able to replicate
it in the CLI (as it is usually the other way around).

I have checked the terminal output that is available from the GUI to
try and catch the settings it uses, but to no avail.  I have even
scanned the ffmpeg source files for keywords that seem relevant, but
have not been able to figure it out.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.

-Ben