[FFmpeg-devel] Hall of Shame

Fernando Cassia fcassia
Thu Jul 16 12:03:29 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Frank Barchard<fbarchard at google.com> wrote:
> Thanks JakeI wish the license were even more strict, and followed the google
> mantra of do no evil.
> Because what is the possible legitimate use here?  I make videos, and I can
> tell you, its to rip music.
> The fact that ffmpeg is open and free makes it an easy target, but we need
> to shut down these use cases, lest we be associated with piracy.  And as
> Natalie Portman would say, pirates are not cool.

Piracy??. If I see a conference video or political speech on Youtube,
download the video, then use FFMPEG to rip the audio and save it as
mp3, where is the piracy?.

If someone else made a slideshow with a commercial copyrighted song as
background music, and someone downloads that video file, whom is the
pirate?. The one which used a commercial song without authorization
for his video and uploaded it to Youtube, or the user whom downloads
it?. Both?.

In any case, I don't see how any piece of software that allows the
separation of audio and video from an on-line file can be "associated
with piracy".

Chase these guys for not follwing the GPL license if you want.
FC