[FFmpeg-devel] Additional RTSP issues

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Thu Jul 16 08:04:57 CEST 2009

Hi Michael,

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
>> It is streaming, user won't care about loosing a few frames at the
>> beginning but will definitely prefer having correct timestamps, like
>> this thread proves.
>
> i agree the user likely wont care about loosing a few frames but the user
> might care about extra delay, i mean something hypothetical like
> "why does ffplay need 10sec before playback starts while barfoo starts
> immedeatly ..."

Well, this problem is not limited to RTP... I saw it in the past when
receiving MPEG TSs from DVB cards, or compressed MJPEG video from webcams
(I do not remember if the problem also affects DV input from firewire).

I believe the solution here is to allow av_find_stream_info() to return
earlier... I tried to do something about it in the past, but I got
sidetracked by other issues. Anyway, I'll try to look again at this in
next week.

				Luca