[FFmpeg-devel] Discussion about Color and light correction tools in libavfilter

Jean-Michel Pouré jmpoure
Mon Jul 13 10:53:24 CEST 2009

Hello,

I just discovered libavfilter from Soc2007+soc2009.
It seems to be oriented toward running filters, like 'watermark'.

IMHO, the most important needs are in color and light correction.

To understand user needs, it is interesting to study a photography
correction tool. Of course Gimp, but it has too many features.

Showfo, which is part of Digikam for KDE4, is much more interesting,
because it shows-up only the required material for color/light
correction AND it is linked to libcv a high-quality and fast processing
library, useful for video also.

To install showfo, you only need to:
apt-get install showfoto in Debian SID.

>From the interface, we discover that user needs are:
* Display a multichannel color graph

Then from the color menu
* Curves adjust
* Levels adjust
* Channel mixer
* Color effects
* Auto correction
* Brightness, contrast, gamma
* Hue, saturation, lightness
* Invest, black&white
* Color management

And enhance :
* sharpen
* blur
* noise reduction

I consider these tools a priority for any video editor.

Why not fetch Showfoto basic code and adapt it to libavfilter Soc?

This would avoid a long and tedious work. Showfoto is linked to libcv.
This would be the only requirement.

What are your plan for FFmpeg in term of color and light correction? I
am very interested and could participate in writing some code, but I
would like to hear your plans.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel