[FFmpeg-devel] Problem logging feature request/patch on bug tracker.

Rodney Baker rodney.baker
Wed Jan 28 13:04:11 CET 2009

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 23:58:54 Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:32:42PM +1030, Rodney Baker wrote:
> > This suppresses all screen output because everything is written to
> > stderr. I only want to suppress the banner and still have the stream
> > data, progress, completion report and error messages displayed during
> > conversion.
>
> Use e.g.
> ffmpeg 2>&1 | tail -n +7

Reimar,

I've now done some further testing and found 2 things; first, I needed to
change +7 to +10 and second, I now see the conversion progress update only
every 40 seconds or so (it only seems to show every 10th update), so it is not
as clean a fix as I'd hoped for.

How hard would it be to add a command line parameter (or an additional
verbosity setting) to suppress the call to show_banner() in ffmpeg.c? I'd do
it myself but I really don't know what I'm doing. I'd be prepared to try it if
someone could give me some useful hints of what needed to be changed.

BTW, where can I find a definition of the settings for the -verbose option?
The web site documentation and the man page both say "-v number : Set the
logging verbosity level" without actually specifying what the acceptable range
for <number> is, how many levels there are or what each level presents...

Regards,

Rodney.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker at iinet.net.au