[FFmpeg-devel] release

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jan 26 23:01:19 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:43:45PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> OK, how hard can it be..
>
> Just think about it, we throw out a tarball and then we can go wild
> with API and ABI, after all, a release is out and people can use that
> and wild changes after a release are only to be expected.

there is no technical need or sense to go wild with anything
and if there was need there would be no sense to wait for a release.

rather the opposite, making a release and breaking API&ABI will mean people
will be even more trapped in the release and have difficulty switching to
head. It would have a very negative impact on bug reports as they would be
against an old release and people would in some cases not be able to
update due to API/ABI

besides the idea is not to break API/ABI unless needed, where is the need?

> I say we make a list of things that need to be done before releasing.

1. find some volunteer doing it
2. find some volunteer doing it
3. find some volunteer doing it

> This has to be a short list.  We fix those issues, hold off on committing
> non-bugfix changes for a few days, test what we can and then we make a
> release.
>
> I bet it's even easier than it sounds.

solve at least one of the 3 points on my list and ill deal with the other 2 ;)

Breaking DRM is a little like attempting to break through a door even
though the window is wide open and the only thing in the house is a bunch
of things you dont want and which you would get tomorrow for free anyway