[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

Peter Ross pross
Sat Jan 24 03:13:52 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:17:06PM -0800, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> >> 5. CONCERN: Suitability of libavformat API
> >>

> > VLC also rolls their own demuxers so I guess it has some valid points.

> However, it seems, unfortunately and sadly, that the will of its (past?)
> users is to reinvent the wheel and recode their own, since some people
> have the skills for it, while some don't for codecs (they cannot),
> instead of participating, reporting problems and helping in the efforts
> of improving it, so all users libavformat could benefit.

Agree. The challenge is that projects that have written and validated their
own muxers/demuxers aren't going to switch to libavformat unless it provides
equivalent functionality.

> That said, I'd like to say for sure reporting from VLC people have been
> really appreciated.
>
> I find rather odd that other people comes complaining now.

IIRC, the dialog on libavformat kicked off when I 'complained' that
folks were rolling their own muxer/demuxers and not using libavformat...

-- Peter
(A907 E02F A6E5 0CD2 34CD 20D2 6760 79C5 AC40 DD6B)