[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

Robert Swain robert.swain
Fri Jan 23 08:15:31 CET 2009

2009/1/22 Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx>:
> Peter Ross wrote:
>> Last week the third Foundations of Open Media Software Workshop (FOMS 2009)
>> was held in Hobart, Australia. I attended to wave the FFmpeg & Xvid flag.
>> A number of concerns about FFmpeg were spoken of during the workshop, so
>> about half an hour was spent collating them. A dump of my notes is provided
>> below with a paraphrasing of the hurt statements.
>
> Thanks for taking the initiative on this. Executive summary: "Same s***,
> different conference." :) (Note to the LinuxTag-FFmpeg crew: that might
> actually make a good banner for this year's booth.)

I think they wouldn't necessarily appreciate that. :) Amusing though.

>> 3. CONCERN: Authorship
>>    "The practises used to develop FFmpeg are considered as questionable."
>>
>>    This is perception stems from the unwillingness of authors to associate
>>    their names with particular blobs of code.
>
> I hope you pointed these people to CREDITS.

And copyrights within files. And MAINTAINERS. And...

Sometimes it's not a good idea to associate a person with some code
just because that person does not want to receive harassment from any
legal entities looking to cause trouble. As noted by Michael.

Regards,
Rob