[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Seeking API

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Thu Jan 22 21:46:42 CET 2009

Hi Michael,

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> Do we need a new API for seeking?
> I think we do
>
> * currently seeking happens based on >=X or <=X this is not truely ideal
>   for a normal player, for example at position 100sec and seeking 10sec
>   forward we would prefer 109 over 200sec likely but not 99sec over 200sec
> * seeking in relation to a single specific stream makes little sense, rather
>   seeking should happen relative to the set of streams that is presented
>   to the user (= the ones not disabled by AVStream.discard)
>
> Are there other issues? requirements?

Yes, I'd like a new AVSEEK_FLAG_FRAMENUM for containers supporting it
(mov/mp4/r3d)

Not sure if this is much related to seeking:
I'd like containers to export the AVIndex feature usage and add pts to
AVIndexEntry, also a way to generate the full AVIndexEntry and have the
possibility to export it as file to be loaded later.

Also user needs to specify if he wants to seek by dts or pts and
therefore what timestamp value refers to.

checking for life_signs in -lkenny... no