[FFmpeg-devel] MPADecodeContext on stack

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jan 22 01:11:48 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 05:56:54PM +0100, Andreas ?man wrote:
> Hi
>
> MPADecodeContext is allocated on the stack at two places:
>
> libavformat/mp3.c
> libavcodec/mpegaudio_parser.c
>
> sizeof(MPADecodeContext) = ~23k
>

> This is, by far, the biggest stack consumer in ffmpeg.

i do not belive this entirely

> (I recently bumped into a stack overflow on an embedded system)
>
> Proposed patch fixes this by splitting out the required fields
> for ff_mpegaudio_decode_header(), which is what is used at those places.
>
> It's a bit intrusive to mpegaudiodec.c. Another option might be to copy
> the fields back into MPADecodeContext, or malloc() MPADecodeContext
> at those places instead.

i think this could be done simpler similarly to how Picture/AVFrame is done

I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not
approve, and what they approve I do not know. -- Epicurus