[FFmpeg-devel] mpeg2ts/udp --> broken display by set-top-box

Alexandre FERRIEUX - FT/RD/SIRP/ASF/SOFTL alexandre.ferrieux
Wed Jan 21 17:14:39 CET 2009

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 05:02:10PM +0100, Alexandre FERRIEUX - FT/RD/SIRP/ASF/SOFTL wrote:
>> I am now using ffmpeg to stream video to a set-top-box:
>>
>> ./ffmpeg -i 134.wmv -vcodec mpeg2video -acodec mp2 -f mpegts
>> udp://HOST:PORT\?pkt_size=1316
>>
>> What I see on the TV is a sequence of chunks of correct video and
>> (somewhat shorter) correct sound.
>>
>> Of course I first thought about a problem in the bitstream or TS muxer,
>> but... if I receive the same UDP flow and concatenate the contents in a
>> .ts file, that file is played perfectly by mplayer/ffplay/vlc.
>>
>> Any idea of some "slightly non-standard" parameter in the mpeg2 encoders
>> or muxer that would upset a dumb set-to-box ? Or of a well-known bug in
>> dumb set-to-boxes ?
>
> This is a question for ffmpeg-user.

Not sure, since recent exchanges with Luca seem to indicate problems in
the TS muxer...

Moreover, I forgot to add, vlc is perfectly able to stream the same file
to the set-top-box. Looking a bit at the implementation I see that vlc
is using libdvbpsi for TS muxing, while ffmpeg is not. What are the
reasons ?

-Alex