[FFmpeg-devel] Samples Collection Reorganisation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Jan 11 18:43:36 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 06:08:52PM +0100, Ivo wrote:
> On Sunday 11 January 2009 17:47, Robert Swain wrote:
[...]
> [..]
> >
> > I suppose this does no harm unless there are links on the web to the
> > files in incoming.
>
> That's not possible because incoming is not exported to the outside world,
> otherwise it would turn into a warez-depot.

There are links to incoming on the mailinglists and on the issue tracker more
correctly in bugreports. They need a username and password yes but there are
links ...

> [..]
> > > Iam not bothered by some transitional period, iam bothered that finding
> > > files has become much harder and iam not sure how this would be limited
> > > to some period.
> > > As long as users upload to incoming and you move files out from there
> > > it will be much harder to find the file, this is not theory, it is
> > > reality I have MUCH more difficulty finding files since the
> > > reorganization, and iam not the only one... Sometimes i catch them in
> > > incoming still, someimes they are in <year>/ and sometimes i cannot
> > > find them anywhere at all.
> > >
> > > If you move each directory with all contents unchanged to all/ its
> > > still 2 places to search, namely incoming and all. If you rename
> > > anything or worse its much harder to find.
> > > What is the problem with replacing files in incoming with symlinks to
> > > their new resting place?
>
> IMHO incoming will stay a mess that way, but if you really insist, I can do
> that for most files from 2008 and all of 2009. Older files will be somewhat
> problematic, because most of them are sorted out already and files before
> the 26th of april 2006 were copied (without -a) and moved around before me
> already.

2008&2009 is already something
and about being a mess, i dont understand what you mean, its just a
directory of symlinks that noone has to look at if he doesnt want.
Its also easy to filter symlinks out so you can see the new files ...

I hate to see young programmers poisoned by the kind of thinking
Ulrich Drepper puts forward since it is simply too narrow -- Roman Shaposhnik