[FFmpeg-devel] TS muxer issues -- some progress

Alexandre FERRIEUX - FT/RD/SIRP/ASF/SOFTL alexandre.ferrieux
Thu Feb 19 15:01:32 CET 2009

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 02:41:41PM +0100, Alexandre Ferrieux wrote:
> [...]
>> What about 5b : simply creating PCRs (and PTS/DTS) out of the real time
>> (since we are already consuming input at real speed with -re) ?
>
> we will not create pcr out of time_of_day
> id like to see the mpeg ts muxer being fixes and not idiotic hacks being
> added

Thanks Michael, but I suspect we could make progress without insulting
each other.

Again, I have only superficial knowledge of the MPEG TS spec, and I am
not _at all_ trying to impose anything on you experts. At the same
times, the TS muxer is broken today (not playing on STBs), and the
superficial symptom I see seems (with my limited investigation skills)
to involve the PCR.

Of course I can just shut up and go back to reading the standards, but I
had hoped that one of you could kindly explain why my suggestion is
idiotic. And currently I have a workaround, relying on VLC's muxer which
doesn't suffer from the same shortcomings. Hence my motivation posting
here  (which you can of course dismiss) is to bring back ffmpeg's tsmux
on track, and not to offend anyone.

-Alex