[FFmpeg-devel] Need help in getting started
Tue Feb 17 20:53:18 CET 2009
Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:
> I have been a Fedora user for last one year. I am learning C, python,
> C++. Every time, I setup a system ( mine or other's) I remember doing
> $yum install ffmpeg*
> I was said that I need this to play audio and video. Now I am
> interested in knowing how ffmpeg works, and how I can contribute
> towards its development.
> Where do I start and how?
1. Read the FFmpeg documentation and learn the basics of using the
command line ffmpeg tool.
2. Understand the difference between libavcodec/libavformat
3. Understand more or less how the source code is organized and learn
how to compile/build it from source code
4. Follow this list for a few weeks to understand how patch submission
works and what we value/do not accept in patches
5. Find a task to start coding (use the wiki page people pointed you
to). Don't be too bold, start with something easy. Read also the FFmpeg
6. Submit your first patch and be prepared for a more or less lengthy
review. Don't worry the following ones will be easier.
More information about the ffmpeg-devel