[FFmpeg-devel] Disable Interplay MVE system

Mike Melanson mike
Mon Feb 16 21:07:20 CET 2009

Peter Ross wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 08:31:40PM -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:
>> The Interplay MVE system is broken and I probably will not have time to
>> fix it before the release in a few days. Is it okay if I take the
>> necessary steps to disable it in the main branch?
>
> Can you elaborate just a little on what is broken.

After I sent that email, I thought to finally enter a formal issue.
However, I have not been able to reproduce the exact problem I used to
have that was detailed in these blog posts:

http://multimedia.cx/eggs/baldurs-task/
http://multimedia.cx/eggs/interplay-conversion-again/
http://multimedia.cx/eggs/baldur-in-bulk/

I don't have half a day right now to set up FFmpeg to be able to encode
x264 and faac again. However, when I transcode to a FFmpeg-native codec,
e.g.:

ffmpeg -i interplay-logo.mve -vcodec svq1 -acodec pcm_s16le -y out.mov
(sample file is at:
   http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/game-formats/interplay-mve/ )

produces a perfect file (except on PPC where there are MC bleeding
artifacts, something I just now learned). At issue with transcoding to
x264 is that the demuxer bases timestamps on a 90 kHz clock. That
doesn't confuse FFmpeg so maybe x264 is in the wrong here.

My original goal was to refactor the ipmovie.c demuxer so that it didn't
try to initialize any streams until it encountered the appropriate
initializer chunks (no common header to indicate A/V presence). The MPEG
demuxer gets away with this but I couldn't make a go of it in the
ipmovie demuxer.

--
     -Mike Melanson