[FFmpeg-devel] Roundup being migrated

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Feb 13 22:54:38 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:28:31PM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:09:35 +0100
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> > > BTW: There are 200MB free space left on incomming.
> > > I think you want to help Ivo to clean it up/sort it out.
> >
> > i can donate 50 euro for a new disk, seems a
> > Samsung SpinPoint F1 640gb costs 53,33 for example (just a random
> > pick ...)
>
> As i already said a few times, diskspace is not a problem.
> We've more than enough unallocated disk space (around 190GB).
> It's a matter of a few minutes to increase the partition size.
> But what i dont want is an ever increasing mess of files nobody knows
> what to do with. Or to put it in other words: one forth
> of the files on the partition on which the samples collection
> resides is occupied by incomming.
>
> I dont have a problem with keeping all the files, but they
> should be sorted in a way that allows people to figure
> out what they are good for and can find them easily.
>
> > if thats not a possible option someone could make a list of file
> > sorted by filesize and post the biggest and then give peopl a week to reply
> > and files that got no "please keep" could then be deleted
>
> Ivo already set out to sort the files, but quite a few demands
> were directed to him because "it wasn't as nice and random
> as before". Hence he got distraced and delayed.

well
how exactly does ivos work free up disk space?
and
ivos initial work made it harder for several people to find files
i being one carl being the second and i suspect that anyone
who tried to find a uploaded file failed to find it as quickly as
before (and there was at least 1 file i never found again.

Originally i was suggesting a rather automated solution for sorting
this would have made any demends trivial, and would not have depended
on a human having the time and will ...
but ivo preferred to do alot manual, this didnt work out too well ...
i dont think any demand was at fault rather that without the demand
it would have become a unuseable system. Truth is i already considered
to search for a different server ... (and i dont want to flame but
you said "it wasn't as nice and random as before" and i feel that
insulting because i didnt ask to return to a mess but to return to
a system where the filename and directory  provided by a user who
uploadad a file was related in a predictable way to a single place
where one could find the file ...

Asymptotically faster algorithms should always be preferred if you have
asymptotical amounts of data