[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] get rid of h264_vdpau codec

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Thu Feb 12 22:47:05 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:34:28PM +0100, Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:
> That's indeed even simpler than my -va hwaccel proposal. However, your
> patch will prefer the non-accelerated codec for VOs that implement
> that case. i.e. it probably would be better to add the accelerated
> pix_fmt first. But for non-accelerated outputs, the default
> get_format() will only get the first pix_fmt[]. In my local tree, I
> have added an IS_VDPAU_PIX_FMT() macro to filter out accelerated
> pix_fmts in that function.

It seems preferable to me to let the application explicitly search the
list for the special formats instead of changing the defaul get_format
function. It also seems less likely to break current applications.
Not sure if it's better to use a macro or explicitly check for the VDPAU
formats, in most places there is no need to check for more than one or
two.

> (BTW, you'd also need my patch for vd_ffmpeg as this code will
> actually crash for H.264)

As said it won't work even remotely for MPlayer as-is, and even the
lavc part misses parts in mpegvideo.c

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger