[FFmpeg-devel] parse_date using localtime etc.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Fri Feb 6 16:17:13 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 03:56:01PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 03:17:04PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > How is that supposed to be maintainable, you need the data
> > about all summer-time switching dates,
>
> you can ignore summer time as well

Right, I am sure our users will be overjoyed to have the times off by
one hour half of the year. As ridiculous as summer time is, just
ignoring it works rather badly for most people.

> > when there were leap seconds and
>
> thats an array of 30 entries or so with 1 entry added per year.

And what is the point of adding that continuous maintenance burden?

> > if the current time zone used them or not and possibly more stuff.
> > Not to mention that linux, Windows, OSX all use a different format for
> > time_t.
>
> well, IMHO either we can implement it cleanly, portably and with little
> code or we should just drop it

localtime_r is POSIX, that was previously considered "portable enough",
but I sure consider dropping it vastly superior to making our own wrong
implementation.
Also implementing localtime_r should be easy enough to implement for the
MinGW folks, they just currently don't do it.
And anyone else can just implement via localtime and hoping and good
luck, which is still better than what we have now where everyone relies
on luck.
I only meant to suggest a short-term hack that would keep some more
platforms working while they implement proper solutions.