[FFmpeg-devel] Getting paid for working on FFMPEG

Ian Robertson ian
Tue Feb 3 07:18:14 CET 2009

compn wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 12:19:13 +1100, Ian wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason, All
>>
>> Yes I guessed as much.
>> All new stuff is Python anyway, existing C++ is very modular and well
>> documented.
>> But what's that about good programmers being able to program in any
>> language?
>>
>> Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:

>>> Looking at ffmpeg for C++ developers?  Might as well go looking for
>>> environmentalists on an oil platform...
>>>

> anyways, there are a few mplayer/ffmpeg developers who work on code
> which they do not like for their jobs i'm sure.

Well I don't think our stuff will be painful for anyone who's interested
in video, even the C++. It's mostly all been done by one person who's
very strong on readability so you won't have to struggle with many
different styles. Other programmers have told me it's a pleasure to work
on Adam's code..
> we need details of how much this job pays, and what the requirements
> are for moving to austrailia (yes i know this differs from each
> country). also how long is this job for? 1 year? 2 years?

For the right person, let's just say pay will not be an issue. All
depends on what you can do.
We would sponsor an applicant thru business migration program, but
suggest you take a holiday first & see if you like it.
How long is the job for? Well the immediate project is to add features
to existing product, probably about 6 months. Things like improvements
to the video editor, better transcoding, easier system installation and
support. But there are more projects. You will have major input into
what they are. Existing guy has been with us for about 25 years, started
when still in high school. So if you like the place and find you'd like
to stay (and you're good!) you'll be welcome. It's a family business
that's been around since 1976.

- ian