[FFmpeg-devel] a64 encoder 7th round

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Feb 1 23:47:09 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:26:46PM +0100, Bitbreaker/METALVOTZE wrote:
> > also there are
> > 1. the 1000 byte of chars
> > 2. the 2048 bytes of the charset
> > 3. the 1000 byte of the colorram
> >
> > you write 2. split in 512 byte blocks so each frame gets
> > 1000 + 512 + 1000 to copy and charset is updated once every 4 frames
> >
> > also, we know that your not perfectly optimized 1000+512 byte 4col code
> > can do 2vsync
> >
> > so at least the following would be possible:
> > each frame contains 6 256 byte blocks with a type in front
>
> That would then means 6 request packets to send again, what takes some

why actually?, why cant you just send that stuff together?
you also can send 1000 bytes together it seems, why not here too?

> time as well, but no idea how much exactly, gotta do measurements for
> that first. Roughly it is writing an mac + ip + udp header + 2 bytes to
> the network card, during that the length fields are calculated as well
> and i substract length of the precalculated checksum to save time.
>

> > types 0-7  could point to the 8 256 byte parts of the charset
> > types 8-15 could point to the 8 256 byte parts of the charset with a
> > flip of the charset (assuming this can be triggered seperately)
> > types 16-19 could point to the 4 256 byte chars
> > types 20-23 could point to the 4 256 byte chars with a page flip if
> > this is possible
> > 24-27 could point to the 4 256 byte parts of the colorram (stored
> > compressed to 32 byte)
>
> So no possibility to use all colors once, just black and white? :-(

hmm, right
28-31 could be like 24-27 but without the compression

[...]
> If your concepts really work out, then they should IMO be implemented in
> a mode that is able to display more colors and details. The multicolor

you submitted the grayscale thing first ...

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato