[FFmpeg-devel] release work

Måns Rullgård mans
Sun Feb 1 03:43:17 CET 2009

Frans de Boer <frans at fransdb.nl> writes:

> Personal note: Some time ago I forced the FFmpeg community to tell the
> public what the last version was of their so called v51 sources. I

I can assure you, that you have forced us to do nothing at all.  I do
remember you busting in here, shouting about how we should be doing
things.  If I remember correctly, you were thoroughly ridiculed and
sent back under the rock from whence you came.  I'll do it again if
you tempt me.

> mentioned also something about releases and version control. I mean,
> what is the use of having version control systems if you don't share the
> version changes properly with your public?

I don't understand what you mean.  Version control is useful to any
developer.  Our version control system is open to the public, so they
can always have the latest source code.  We feel that this benefits
both sides since users get new features and bug fixes quicker, and it
is easier for others to contribute patches.  The use of, and the
openness of, a version control system has little, if anything, to do
with release management per se.  A good version control system can of
course aid in making and maintaining releases through tagging,
branching etc.

> So, I am pleased that the FFMPEG community is getting more mature and

We'd be pleased if you could spell FFmpeg correctly.

> finally accepts the idea that coding is one thing, communications is a
> whole different ball game preferably left to people who have learned how
> to communicate with none-developers albeit (sometimes) seasoned
> engineers.

An engineer who doesn't do development at some level is no engineer.

> As a old-time developer myself I feel that you can't just output sources

You can't stop calling on your "vast" experience to prove your points,
can you?

> to the public as is. You have a (morale) obligation to make sure that
> your code is correct and relatively stable.

We have no obligations whatsoever, moral or otherwise.  Our license
terms make that quite clear.  If you do not agree to those terms,
please do not use our code.

> This means, any API/ABI change MUST be communicated between
> developers as well as your public.

Yes, when the header files change, there has been a change.

> Speaking of your public, what better way than to use releases in a
> form of completed Tar files? Just let developers use the git
> repositories as intended, and the rest of us can use Tar file.

The tar files are already there, updated every night.  Is there
something wrong with them?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com