[FFmpeg-devel] release work

Diego Biurrun diego
Sun Feb 1 02:30:59 CET 2009

OK people, it's time to get some work done, we want to get a release
out the door very soonish.

The most important thing is not to get bogged down in discussions.
Please keep in mind that we need to keep our attention focused and
not let ourselves get distracted by secondary issues, no matter how
tempting it may be to rant and rave about them.

There are two weeks left for any major work and we still have plenty
to do.  If everybody grabs a handful of work, we should be able to
make this release successful.

So what exactly is left to do and can be done?

- apply patches

  There are OKed patches on this mailing list and on roundup.
  Apply them directly or ping them so that they get applied.

- fix bugs

  We are not in short supply of bugs.  Choose a roundup issue, fix it.

- add doxygen

  Try running doxygen.  You will see plenty of warnings about missing
  or incomplete documentation.  Go for it, every little bit helps.

- review patches

  Come on, not only Michael can do it and if you take over the first
  round(s), he can review other patches.

- fix warnings

  They might be bugs and it's always nice to look good and have few
  of them.  But make sure you do not introduce bugs.

- review doxygen

  Grab a file, read through it, reword the clumsy parts, fix grammar etc.

- improve documentation

  A lot of stuff could be added, the format lists are incomplete, ...

- janitorial stuff

  Add missing av_cold to init functions, fix wrong indentation,...

If you have more ideas for - preferably bite-sized - tasks, speak up.

Diego