[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libswscale palette output implementation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Dec 31 20:19:37 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 05:28:24PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> related thread:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/80845/focus=82531
>
> Kostya's idea is to use Vitor's ELBG implementation in
> libavcodec/elbg.{h,c}, first step would be to move it to lavu where it
> can be used by lsws. This shouldn't comport any ABI / API issues,
> since the API is only internal (it would only require a dependancy
> change of lavc on lavu, but I may be wrong here).

It will need a change to the versioning files if its done after versioning
is enabled

> Now I'm not sure if Michael would approve such an implementation as he
> has some reservations on that idea, also now I'm reading the paper and
> since I don't have a good background on it it would require some time if
> I'll go for it.

iam not happy about suboptimal solutions.
but if all of the following are true than iam ok with it
1. We have no volunteer to implement a more optimal solution
2. We do have a volunteer to implement a solution based on unchanged ELBG
3. The final code is at least as good as some common tool like gimp in terms
   of subjective quality
4. Off course the patch must be clean&simple&... like any other patch

Its not that you shouldnt use gotos but rather that you should write
readable code and code with gotos often but not always is less readable