[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Frame accurate seeking

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Wed Dec 30 17:47:42 CET 2009

On date Wednesday 2009-12-30 15:46:38 +0100, Reimar D?ffinger encoded:
[...]
> Allowing frame-accurate when decoding IIRC should be possible by putting
> the -ss behind the input file name (never tested it though, and I
> suspect it could be much improved).
> frame-accurate without decoding simply is not possible, the closest you
> could probably get is finding a tool that tells you where the keyframes
> are and then using those values with FFmpeg. I don't know of such a tool
> though and it doesn't belong on this list anyway.

Note that ffprobe can do that, just use the -show_frames option and
grep for the frame type (yes it does this by decoding).

I'll try to push ffprobe (which is actually quite undermaintained)
into FFmpeg as I'll have sometime for it (which is not going to happen
very soon), patches are welcome of course...

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Faboulous and Free Murdering Pitiful Erroneous Guru