[FFmpeg-devel] Query about adding support for a new codec in FFMPEG player

Diego Biurrun diego
Wed Dec 30 11:46:12 CET 2009

Do not top-post.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 09:40:32AM +0530, Ajit Deshpande wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
>
> > Ajit Deshpande <ajitsdeshpande <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > What is the process to add support for this codec in the FFMPEG player?
> >
> > You send a patch, it gets reviewed, you make the requested changes, and
> > after a few iterations, your patch gets submitted.
>
>  If u can, pls. give me some detailed pointers where i can know about 1.)In
> what form the patch has to be submitted (dll, static library, executable)
> 2.) Does the code have any guidelines which should be followed related to
> memory allocations,about other coding constructs, coding guidelines, etc..

http://www.ffmpeg.org/developer.html

It seems that this information is not visible enough.  How can we make
it clearer?

> > > Does this codec have to be implemented from scratch to avoid patent
> > > issues

A reimplementation from scratch does not avoid patent issues, please get
a clue about patents.

Diego