[FFmpeg-devel] Round 2: Symbol versioning

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Mon Dec 28 16:07:02 CET 2009

Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 10:35:14AM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Please remind me why you are not patching the linker even now that
> Michael has handed you a patch for it..

Because:
 - Michael admits himself that his patch does not adress the root of the
   problem ("breadth first search starting from the application").
 - Therefore, even with Michael's patch symbol versioning is necessary.
 - I'm still unconvinced that there is a serious problem at all:
   The situations Michael's patch adresses are (AFAIUI) easily and
   effectively avoided by using debian's shlibs system [1].

Besides, the whole stunt is coordinated with the debian release team[2],
who have supervised many similar transitions before. I'm therefore very
confident that the current approach (w/o patching the linker) is proven
(and therefore "good enough") for debian. The issues Michael is
adressing seem to me rather farfetched and very unlikely to occur in the
field when deploying them in debian in the way I intend to do. For
ffmpeg upstream, I can see no regressions either.

[1]
http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=dpkg-shlibdeps&manpath=Debian+5.0+lenny
[2]
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.release/32768