[FFmpeg-devel] Need information about stripping FFMpeg Library

Diego Biurrun diego
Thu Dec 24 17:02:58 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:59:32AM +0530, sandeep virdi wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:

> > > I went through the link pointed by you, but in my case as I previously
> > > mentioned that I had removed almost everything except what is needed to
> > > decode H264 files. That means I have changed the functionality of FFMpeg
> > > lib. So I was wondering as to how could I submit this under normal FFMpeg
> > > distribution. I am not really aware of how open source projects are
> > handled
> > > since this is first time for me. So since my changes are so huge as I
> > have
> > > removed most of the code files all together, I was wondering as to if I
> > can
> > > publish my changes as a new open source project, something like
> > > "Lean-FFMpeg" and if so then what will be the procedure. As the code is a
> > > subset of FFMpeg, I think that this is the ideal place to put this lean
> > > FFMpeg code.
> >
> > FFmpeg already supports removing almost all functionality except certain
> > specific parts.  How does what you did differ from passing
> >
> >  --disable-decoders --enable-decoder=h264
> >
> > (and probably a few options more) to configure?
> >
> > Starting a new project sounds like a bad idea.  You claim to have little
> > experience with that and it would duplicate a lot of work.
> >
> > Diego
> >

> Sorry for top-posting in my previous mail. :)

Thanks.  Next up: Learn to cut out useless stuff like mailing list
footers from your quotes.

> Thanks for the information about using the configure script. Yeah that seems
> to be a better idea so as to only have code for H264 decoder in final
> binary. To give a brief info about why I thought of stripping FFmpeg was,
> that our security team found that there were few known vulnerabilities in
> FFMpeg and hence they were wary of shipping FFmpeg(in form of  Dlls) along
> with our code. So that's why I thought of removing unwanted code for my
> case.

No vulnerabilities are known to us, please be specific.  If there are
any, we need to know.

> But there is still the issue of reading of encoded stream. I had seen in the
> code that with FFMpeg we can have several protocols to input. In my case, I
> will be having one .264 encoded frame in memory and only after this encoded
> frame is decoded, that the next encoded frame can come. So its like at any
> given time the decoder will have only one frame in memory to decode. I
> couldn't find a protocol which can handle. In-fact there is no protocol in
> FFmpeg which allows for reading input data from memory. Can you point
> me/give hint out as to how this can be achieved using existing FFMpeg
> methods.

The ffmpeg-user or libav-user mailing lists are better places to discuss
such topics.  We want to keep ffmpeg-devel for discussions of FFmpeg
itself, not development with the FFmpeg libraries.

> Thanks for your time and Merry Christmas :)

Same to you.

Diego