[FFmpeg-devel] NGO Name and registration

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Dec 21 21:44:45 CET 2009

Hi everyone

Most of you probably already know our problem, but iam starting a new thread
to make sure this is not missed.

The winning option of our vote: FFmedia (Foundation for Free Multimedia)
is not possible to be choosen because we are unable to obtain the domain
ffmedia.org. And moving forward with ffmedia without owning the matching
domain would put our donators at risk of donating to the
anonymous owner of ffmedia.org if he chooses to put a real looking duplicate
of our page up.

More precissely the situation is that emails to the address in whois of
ffmedia.org are apparently not forwarded to the anonymous owner. So we
cannot ask him if he would be willing to transfer the domain to us. Our
only contact is domainsbyproxy who ask for 70$ to forward our question
Ronald & I are unwilling to finance such "business" methods. Also i do
not know who the anonymous owner is, not even if he is different from
domainsbyproxy. But it is likely even if not certain that it is a domain
squatter who would ask for a quite ridiculous price.

Given these we are planning to move forward with the 2nd best in the vote:
FFMTech (Foundation for Free Multimedia Technologies)
It is only 1 vote behind the winning option and would win condoret & IRV
if i change my vote alone.

People have 48 hours to veto this in which case we will do another round
of discussions, name+domain suggestions and vote.
Also any valid veto must contain "i veto" or "i object" clearly,
random ambigous flaming will not be interpreted as objection.
Also ronald might extend that 48h period depending on when he can move
forward with the NGO registration.

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated
form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty. -- Plato