[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] please vote for our NGO name: new vote?

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Thu Dec 17 18:18:10 CET 2009

On date Wednesday 2009-12-16 17:37:26 -0500, Ronald S. Bultje encoded:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Stefano Sabatini
> <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> wrote:
> > Also there could be C, which I like less but which is better than the
> > other ones, so I could assign the points like this:
> > A ? ? ?-> 3
> > B ? ? ?-> 3
> > C ? ? ?-> 1
> > others -> 0
>
> This is already possible, just rank them evenly. It doesn't help us to
> decode between the two, though.
>
> > Since I believe that re-design the voting system would be overkill, I
> > suggest to simply redefine the list of preferences, which should
> > contain an explicit mention of the official, short and domain name,
> > and add all the newly added preferences, and then start again the
> > vote.
>
> It would've been better if you'd done this before.
>
> Do you have evidence that this kind of "clarification" would
> substantially change the outcome of the vote?
>
> > If there are not other devs which stand for this, I won't bikeshed
> > with this anymore, also I don't particularly dislike the most
> > favorited names and we can adjust the official name issue when the
> > winner is choosen.
>
> I'd like to hear also if there's broad support for this "it didn't go
> well". My feeling is that most either are OK with it or really don't
> care all that much and would rather just have the foundation set up so
> we can use it (I'm in that group).

Resuming: I would have preferred more clear rules, especially for what
concern the naming issues, but then since there hasn't been
significant reaction from other devs, and I myself don't care so much
about it, then I'd say to just go on with the vote and we'll adjust
the name when will have the winner.

Note that I didn't raised the issue before the vote because I feared
that could result in more bikeshedding, which inevitably happened
during the vote thus affecting its conceived "validity" moral status,
now I felt that I didn't when it was the time, but then again I'm not
saying that this is worth the trouble of starting again the vote.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Freak & Friendly Multimedia Proud Ecumenical Governor