[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] please vote for our NGO name

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Wed Dec 16 11:00:39 CET 2009

On date Wednesday 2009-12-16 02:33:14 +0100, Diego Biurrun encoded:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:23:15AM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> >
> > we can't agree on a name for our fancy new non-profit org, so we want
> > YOU to help us choose a name. Voting is open to all developers /
> > contributors with an SVN account at svn.ffmpeg.org.
>
> My vote:
>
> > You can choose between the following names:
> > * Free Multimedia Tech / freemediatech.org
>
> I vote for using proper words, not abbreviations.
>
> > * FFMTech (Foundation for Free Multimedia Technologies)
>
> I vote for "Technology", not "Technologies".
>
> > * FFmedia (Foundation for Free MultimEDIA)
>
> I vote for free beer instead of free adult Flash movies.
>
> > * OMF (Open Multimedia Foundation)
>
> Dominik suggested a better name than this one.
>
> > * FFm.org (Foundation for Free Multimedia)
>
> I vote for names without top-level domains in it.
>
> > * FFmpeg Foundation
>
> I vote for a name not specific to FFmpeg.
>
> > * FFMF (Fast Forward Multimedia Foundation)
>
> I vote for fast reverse on voting procedures.

Some of these objections are IMO valid, but the question is: why
didn't they have been arised when both the names and the voting
procedure was discussed?

I believe there has been a sufficient amount of time to discuss that
before the voting procedure began, objecting now is quite pointless,
also we decided to implement this voting system for the same reason
that to make everyone happy had proven to be impossible, also we want
this thing set up in a reasonable interval of time.

Anyway it shouldn't be impossible to review and fine-tune the winning
name to accomplish to some of your requests, for example:

Free Multimedia Tech -> Free Multimedia Technology Foundation
shortname: freemediatech
domain: freemediatech.org

FFMTech (Foundation for Free Multimedia Technologies) -> Foundation for Free Multimedia Technology
shortname: FFMTech
domain: ffmtech.org

FFm.org (Foundation for Free Multimedia) -> Foundation for Free Multimedia
shortname: ffm
domain: ffm.org

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Fundamentalist & Furious Meaningful Problematic Extended Gymnast