[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] please vote for our NGO name

Vitor Sessak vitor1001
Tue Dec 15 18:03:08 CET 2009

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 09:52:26AM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
>>> I'd also like to note an important point that you skipped: This
>>> foundation is supposed to be for more than just FFmpeg. MPlayer will be
>>> represented by it right away. In other words, most of these names are,
>>> umm, not so good...
>> I agree, but that's basically what the vote is about: what type of
>> name do "we" prefer? (Have you voted yet? :-).)
>
> I'm toying with the idea of abstaining from voting since I feel the
> names suck so much :-/
>
>> Right now, freemediatech (which we'd probably expand to "Free
>> Multimedia Technology Foundation" on the black/white form) appears to
>> be leading. I think it meets the "generic" criteria quite well.
>
> We should vote about the real names, not something vaguely related.

I disagree. We will have to live with all the following

1- The official name. Something looks nice in a check or in a court and
contains the word "foundation".
2- The name we will actually use when referring to it (for ex., in IRC
or ffmpeg-devel). Few chars, no spaces preferred. We can always fall
back to "our foundation" in the worst case. Should sound nice when
happyuser325 asks in #ffmpeg how he can make a donation.
3- The domain name.

Obviously, all the three should be related. We should vote about the
whole pack, but of course each one is free to gives more weight to the
one he thinks is more important.

-Vitor