[FFmpeg-devel] Intel IPP H264 encoder

Frank Barchard fbarchard
Fri Dec 4 14:24:40 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 4:50 AM, Robert Swain <robert.swain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Erik presented a sub-par (for us) quick test to see if he thought IPP
> was in the same ballpark as x264. He seemed to conclude that it did plus
> he and Frank thought it had some other benefits versus x264. He did this
> without 'snorting'.

Frank doesnt claim IPP is better,  Intel makes that claim.  Its our
responsibility to hold them to that with objective metrics.

Erik, LGPL means disabling assembly.  Thats a huge perf hit, but if
necessary, icl helps x264 alot.  So you might see x264 surpass IPP if you
use icl or visual c.  My conclusion with these tests was that intel c is far
better, but a moot point if you use the assembly.

For quality assessment, 3 suggestions
1. use higher resolution.  720p.  I'd suggest starting with 1080p and resize
to 720p.
2. use higher quality source/codec.  not wmv  very high bitrate h264 is good
3. use objective quality metric.  psnr or ssim.