[FFmpeg-devel] Intel IPP H264 encoder

armand bendanan armand.bendanan
Fri Dec 4 14:08:50 CET 2009

> From: ffmpeg-devel-bounces at mplayerhq.hu [mailto:ffmpeg-devel-
> bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of M?ns Rullg?rd
> Robert Swain <robert.swain at gmail.com> writes:

> lack
> the

> >> How can you disagree about numbers?  Do you disagree about 2+2=4 too?
> >
> > 1) What numbers?
>
> PSNR

Wikipedia states that about PSNR :

When comparing compression codecs it is used as an approximation to human
perception of reconstruction quality, therefore in some cases one
reconstruction may appear to be closer to the original than another, even
though it has a lower PSNR (a higher PSNR would normally indicate that the
reconstruction is of higher quality). One has to be extremely careful with
the range of validity of this metric; it is only conclusively valid when it
is used to compare results from the same codec (or codec type) and same
content

This is an "approximation to human perception", and : "extremely careful
with the range of validity of this metric".

Nothing comparable with 2+2=4!

Armand Bendanan

database 4660 (20091204) __________

http://www.eset.com