[FFmpeg-devel] Intel IPP H264 encoder

Robert Swain robert.swain
Fri Dec 4 09:12:50 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 18:48 -0800, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> > Now, I suppose I could run everything through some carefully crafted
> > scripts, making a couple of metrics and distributions on residues, packet
> > sizes, processor loads, cache usage and everything you can throw in there.
>
> Or you could, you know, post a screenshot or two and give your
> encoding commandlines.  But this is apparently too hard for you.
>
> > No worries, I wont bother anyone with the results, or the code, since
> > obviously it has been developed on crack, with no idea whats going on,
> > resting in a legal swamp.
> >
> > Have a nice day all
>
> Thanks.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Yey! Another miscommunication or breakdown of communication, due to lack
of humility and/or willingness to explain what someone from outside the
'community' may not know, leads to another contributor being driven
away.

All that was needed was "Could you please provide information about the
sample used, the settings used to encode the sample with each encoder
and any other useful information? e.g. x264 defaults with no b-frames
and IPP with this option and that option."

But instead there's rudeness, which gets met with defensiveness to
rudeness and it snowballs from there...

Yes we know x264 is awesome and it seems, from Jason's studying, that
the Intel IPP H.264 encoder codebase is somewhat hideous, but still,
maybe someone will find it useful/interesting to have it hooked up in
FFmpeg.

Erik - if you could publish your contribution somewhere, I'd be grateful
and maybe some other people would be too, even if it doesn't get
integrated into trunk.

Regards,
Rob