[FFmpeg-devel] Upgrade Trouble

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Wed Dec 2 08:13:29 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 21:42 +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> so yes, the application ('FFmpeg' in this case) tries to resolve the
> symbols that have been versioned as FFMPEG_0.5 at compilation time. It
> fails to resolve them, because the libraries that didn't change SONAME
> have been replaced with current FFmpeg trunk.
>
> Did I misunderstand symbol versioning (again)? Are my versioning scripts
> wrong?

You shouldn't change the symbol version if the SONAME didn't change. If
you think the later library version is so incompatible that an
application compiled against the earlier one must not use the later one
then you must change SONAME too. If you believe them to be compatible
enough and don't change SONAME then you must not change the symbol
versions either (at least symbols that already existed in the older
version). So you should use library-specific versions based on SONAME,
not a global FFmpeg one (at least if you don't change SONAMEs globally
too for every different version).