[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Libfaac not LGPL?

Robert Swain robert.swain
Wed Apr 29 17:33:08 CEST 2009

2009/4/29 Kostya <kostya.shishkov at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 04:12:29PM +0100, Robert Swain wrote:
>> 2009/4/29 Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:

[snip]

>> > But dropping libfaac support might be a better idea. ?Does anybody need
>> > it for internal development? ?Kostya, Rob?
>>
>> I haven't touched the AAC encoder yet so it's up to Kostya and Alex in
>> my opinion. I have used it to generate streams for benchmarking in the
>> past, but I can just as well use the FAAC CLI. It would be more of an
>> annoyance for converting to h.264 + AAC in mp4 really.
>>
>> If we drop it, I'm sure it will wreak havoc in #ffmpeg and we'll
>> either have to tell them to use a specific revision or use 0.5. We're
>> already telling people to use 0.5 for vhook because libavfilter isn't
>> done yet.
>>
>> So I'm not keen on dropping it until a replacement is ready, because
>> it is heavily used. Maybe it depends on how close our encoder is to
>> being ready for trunk and whether dropping FAAC will actually bring
>> about any incentive to the developers working on the AAC encoder.
>
> Well, Alex Converse has started making his contributions.

Yup, so I noted.

>> somehow doubt it will affect Kostya that scores of people in #ffmpeg
>> and on FFmpeg-user are wondering why libfaac support has disappeared.
>> :)
>
> Well, free procmail rule and they won't bother you as well :P
> Also looks like not all devs like to visit #ffmpeg and answer questions
> about transcoding to .flv

My point wasn't that I don't want them to bother me or other people
providing user support, but rather that the knock on effect of
dropping FAAC support would provide more work and apply pressure to
the wrong people so wouldn't really act as an incentive in that way.

Regards,
Rob