[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] *put_bits_* functions renamings

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Sat Apr 11 00:52:35 CEST 2009

On date Friday 2009-04-10 18:53:22 +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd encoded:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 05:22:23PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> the new name is consistent with the name for which a function should
> >> be prefixed (rather than suffixed) by a prefix telling the namespace
> >> to which it applyies, it is also consistent with all the other
> >> put_bits_* functions and more grep-friendly.
> >
> > iam rather used to flush_put_bits() so iam mildly against the rename
> > that is unless several other devels want the rename
>
> All the other functions are put_bits_*, and we have get_bits_*.  I'm
> in favour of renaming it to keep things consistent.

Actually this is my complete evil plan for the *put_bits* functions:

init_put_bits            ->  put_bits_init
put_bits_count           ->  put_bits_count
flush_put_bits           ->  put_bits_flush
align_put_bits           ->  put_bits_align
ff_put_string            ->  put_bits_string (put_bits_put_string?)
ff_copy_bits             ->  put_bits_copy
put_bits                 ->  put_bits
pbBufPtr                 ->  put_bits_get_buf_ptr (put_bits_buf_ptr?)
skip_put_bits            ->  put_bits_skip
skip_put_bytes           ->  put_bits_skip_bytes
set_put_bits_buffer_size ->  put_bits_set_buffer_size
put_sbits                ->  put_bits_signed? (I still have to read the function...)

So the idea basically is to prefix all the functions with "put_bits",
and try to follow consistent naming rules, with eventual variations
with respect to the above table to accomodate devels
preferences/suggestions.

Also I don't think it would make sense to rename just few functions,
since the idea was to provide a consistent functions set.

I'm in favor of the complete renaming, but I won't start an holy war
for it, so if there are other devs which like it and Michael doesn't
dislike it too much then I'll try to push it forward.

(*get_bits* functions are inconsistent but in a different way.)

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Free Fiendish Martial Puristic Earthshaking Goblin