[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-user] Remuxing for the PS3

John Lange john
Tue Apr 7 17:05:13 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 09:18 +0200, Patrik Kullman wrote:

> > Also, for H.264, ffmpeg seems to set video type = 0x0000. I'm pretty
> > sure that's wrong too. In fact, it might be one of the major reasons the
> > PS3 wont recognize the video, come to think of it.
> >
> > (Or, it's just some wrong info ffmpeg displays on the screen only. I'm
> > not sure if 0x0000 actually goes into the file anywhere)
>
> I was looking at this some time ago as well.
> There was a couple of things I noticed.
>
> First, the PS3 doesn't seem to play H264 Level 5.1, so it has to be
> changed to 4.1.

Correct, High 4.1 is the max the PS3 will play.

> But more interestingly, tsMuxer seems to add the header like 10-15
> times, apparently that is needed by some hardware decoders (including
> the PS3?).

In the version that I tested, this was an option though I didn't analyze
the output to see if it was working as advertised.

My understanding is that headers should appear only once in an mp4
container, but if you're streaming h264 then obviously they have to be
present throughout the stream.

As I've said previously in this thread, step one would be to find a file
(or settings for TSmuxer that generate a file) that actually plays on
the PS3 so we can reverse engineer it but so far nobody has provided an
example.

--
John Lange
http://www.johnlange.ca