[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libswscale into the FFmpeg SVN repo

Diego Biurrun diego
Sat Apr 4 21:04:57 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 06:18:14PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 05:41:13PM +0200, Christian Iversen wrote:
> > Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >> i think the way CVS did versioning was more flexible and powerfull, and
> >> no iam not saying the cvs implementation was good, with its non atomic
> >> changes, lack of move&copy tracking per directory commit mails ...
> >> Fixing the CVS implementation and storing the file path in the RCS files
> >> instead of storing the RCS files in the path would have made cvs more
> >> powerfull than svn is today. (that is instead of a tree with the rcs files
> >> as leafs, there could be a flat list of rcs files where each stores where
> >> in the tree it is under which name for each revission or if that revission
> >> existed rather outside of the tree in a difeferent repo)
> >> And with a RCS file upload/download (aka push/pull) cvs could have been
> >> used offline and distributed ...
> >> i never understood why people droped cvs and started to work on svn that
> >> is in several ways inferrior (less secure, no moving between repos,
> >> database
> >> shit, ...)
> >
> > I'm interested, how is it less secure?
>
> IIRC it is vulnerable to simple off line password bruteforcing if one
> can listen to any svn traffic, and it is vulnerable to man in the
> middle attacks.

How so?

> cvs goes over ssh ...

CVS does not "go over ssh", the native pserver implementation is a
security nightmare.

You can tunnel CVS over ssh, but the same can be done for Subversion.

> > I've never used CVS a lot - what
> > kind of support did it have for moving stuff between reposes?
>
> you just copy the rcs files on the server, needs an account or someone
> with an account ...
> what was missing was that this didnt keep track of where the file previously
> was ...

Copying RCS files around is most definitely not a good idea.

How you can say that CVS is in any way superior to Subversion is beyond
me.  I do, however, feel no particular urge to flame over such
nonsense..

Diego