[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libswscale into the FFmpeg SVN repo

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Sat Apr 4 15:52:15 CEST 2009

On date Saturday 2009-04-04 12:54:24 +0200, Christian Iversen encoded:
> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Stefano Sabatini <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> the feat mentioned in the subject has been mentioned many times, and
>>> IIRC there is also a general agreement about it.
>>>
>>> And I also remember that someone (Diego?) mentioned some technical
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> Or maybe if we're going to do that step, maybe we could even afford to
>>> do yet another one and migrate to git as planned.
>>
>> Diego once said there is a way to merge the svn repos while
>> maintaining chronological history.  Alternatively, it can be merged as
>> part of a transition to git.  It is not advisable to move to git and
>> merge the trees at a later time since that would rewrite the entire
>> history and invalidate any branches people might have.
>
> Generally, it's possible to merge the the file sets from 2 repositories,
> such that the revisions will be chronologically correct, and all files
> are available in the final repos. However, I don't think it's possible
> (at least easily) to merge to repositories while preserving old revision
> numbers. So if you do this chronologically-and-historically-correct
> merge, all the references to "fixed in rev xxxx" will be "broken".

We may add in the historical log commits:
OLD-REPO-ID rXXX

This may be applied to both a SVN+SVN->SVN and a SVN+SVN->git merge.

This doesn't fix the problem of finding with git/svn the exact
revision of an old-repo-id (for example with svn -cXXX) but at least
make it possible by grepping on the complete commit log file.

> I've spent a long time merging a number of repositories, and I'd be
> happy to help if you need some tips on how to proceed.

Nice.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Fantastic and Freak Meaningful Proud Elitist Gadget