[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-user] Remuxing for the PS3

John Lange john
Thu Apr 2 05:22:56 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 19:37 -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christian Iversen wrote:
> > John Lange wrote:

> >> And further to this; I haven't had much success getting ffmpeg to remux
> >> to m2ts.
> >>
> >> It creates the file but it won't play, even with ffplay. I'm guessing
> >> the mpegts support isn't quite there yet in ffmpeg?
> >
> > That would be my guess as well.
> >
> > I've even tried to to ask this same question on the devel list, with the
> > intention of helping to get it done, but the responses so far have not
> > been friendly.
>
> Humm, then it must be a mistake, indeed help is very welcome on this matter.

Christian, I'm also very willing to help. Getting ffmpeg to generate
video from mkv files that can play on the PS3, especially if they
support ac3 or dts is a high priority for me.

I think the first thing to do would be to switch this discussion back to
the dev list. I've cross-posted this reply to dev so people can track
the thread from user to dev but please continue only on the dev list.

I've been doing a fair amount of experimental codding for ffmpeg on the
bitstream filters over the last week or so and I'm starting to get a
little bit of a feel for ffmpeg and I'm ready to dig into the tsmux
problems.

> > I recommend anyone seeking to remux for the ps3 to try TsMuxer. It is
> > cost-free, but not Free, unfortunately. Still, it works perfectly, every
> > time, with absolutely no transcoding.

I've just downloaded the Linux version so I can do some testing. My plan
will be to take the same source material and remux it using both tsmux
and ffmpeg and then compare results.

This may shed some light on what ffmpeg is doing wrong.

John