[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code participation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Apr 1 05:00:53 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 02:31:10AM +0200, Thilo Borgmann wrote:
[...]
> Ok, I could not solve this including problem this fast and I'm in need of
> some advise of how to make the struct AVPacket known in the avcodec.h.
> Because several possibilities may arise how to solve this for my decoder
> issue but this has to be done right not to break anything somewhere else
> (got the same error after moving the AVPacker declaration which made it
> work for alldevices.c but rearised in another .c-file).

as ronald said, AVPacket can be moved to avcodec.h

> The second issue seems more complex. It is easy to pass the packet down to
> the avcodec_decode_video2() function but this function has to pass it to
> the decode_frame function which it does by the use of a function pointer
> which resides in the AVCodec struct. Of course, this struct declares a
> avcodec_decode_frame() - style pointer for this wich have to be changed
> into a avcodec_decode_frame2() -style pointer parameterized by an AVPacket
> instead of a "uint8_t and int" combination.
> In my eyes, this would require a new AVCodec2 struct, using the correct
> pointer type. But this would require the update of every codec. Which is
> not difficult, because it would be generic but a lot of files to change and
> test...

I think simply updating all AVCodecs should do.
It would break applications that have their own private AVCodecs but these
should be few and they are evil anyway because where they not they would
have submitted their AVCodec to us.
(i guess someone will in 5min explain a non evil reason why one would have
ones own AVCodec ...)

and to be honest i prefer bumping the major version than having anyone
spend a lot of time comming up with some complex woraround. That is if
theres no easy way to avoid it and simply changing AVCodec doesnt work
breaks more than a obscure application.

Why not whip the teacher when the pupil misbehaves? -- Diogenes of Sinope