[FFmpeg-devel] Broken third party software

Frans de Boer frans
Sun Sep 14 23:48:47 CEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 22:53 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 22:22, Frans de Boer wrote:
> [...]
> > Yes, if I had the knowledge I would volunteer, but I never used svn
> > before but only followed directions on the various web pages whenever it
> > was required. Why would you put those directions there, if you assume
> > that everyone must have intimate knowledge of svn?
>
> We assume nothing like that.

Look at your previous reply:
?----------------------------
There is SVN history. You can checkout any revision you like.

> Suppose,
> that I started yesterday using FFmpeg because libquicktime and/or
> cinelerra are asking for it. I can not get it compiled and I have no
> clue which SVN version I need to get it compiled - assuming I am that
> advanced that I know how to use the SVN command!?

Then you should either learn or have someone else do it for you.

> > Since svn is the ONLY way to get the FFmpeg source,
>
> Not true.

Elaborate please?

> [...]
> > Oh, one more thing: In my world it is common to top-reply (and I am
> > doing this for almost 29 years).
>
> Forgive me if I find it hard to believe. Top-posting is a fairly
> new phenomenon on the Internet and it was made a lot more popular
> after Microsoft made it the default in their Outlook (Express)
> application. Inline/interleaved-replying, on the other hand has always
> been the gold standard on the Usenet even before WWW existed. Granted,
> top-replying may be common for business e-mail, but when you come
> to a mailing list, you should respect its posting rules.

Ok, where are the rules posted? And yes, I am already over 29 years
involved with the internet and using this top-reply action. And yes, I
was involved too in the community discussion whether top or bottom
replies should be followed. For the business top-reply was the norm
(even before MS Outlook) because it was much faster to read. On the
engineering level: no common protocol was established.

> > But now I know that the FFmpeg project
> > likes bottom-replies, I will respect that and hope that some people
> > might learn someday that there are also other disciplines in this world.
>
> What makes you think we are unaware of that?

You made it personal yourself: to me: you did not show such thing in
your previous mail.

> > and....show me where I wrote "I demand". For some of you: Please, try to
> > read a little better and refrain from your personal interpretations.
>
> Let me put back the quote, which you deleted:
> > > So, either provide a "stable" archive or announce which svn version is
> > > the latest version honoring 3 years of backward compatibility and
> > > lastly: create a new branche to visually differentiate between
> > > compatibilities.
>
> That, to my non-native (so please forgive me if I'm wrong about this) English
> ear, is a demand, even if you don't use the word itself. Little words like
> "please" or "could you" would've made a world of difference. You might want
> to keep that in mind the next time you start telling people what to do.

You can't just quote what you like the best, you have to read things in
their context. The above can not be classified as being a demand (what
you yourself suggested) but should be seen as suggestions in the context
of that message. But your right, I have forgotten to make it explicit
myself.