[FFmpeg-devel] Broken third party software

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Sep 14 15:08:53 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 02:53:40PM +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi Ramiro,
>
> Ramiro Polla wrote:
> [...]
> >>    svn annotate or svn log can easily point to r15262 as the version which
> >>    broke the old API, so developer of applications using libavcodec can
> >>    point to r15261 until their programs are updated.
> >>    These changes do not happen very often (I think the last one was some
> >>    years ago?)
> >
> > I think we could do other developers a favor and at least announce
> > somewhere that there was a major version bump (and that if I
> > understand correctly more things might still change in the very near
> > future).
> >
> > I attached a patch for index.html, but maybe it's not the best place
> > (and the text could be rewritten)...
>
> This looks like a good idea.
> Maybe we could go even further, and do something like
> svn cp -r r15261 svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/tags/libavcodec_v51
> or similar (I did not check the correct svn syntax and similar
> details).
> Note: this is just an idea, if other people think it is bad, I
> am not going to defend it too strongly.

Iam not against it but i must note that the "tags are copies" design is a
step back from cvs.
And this require some care on the ffmpeg user side so as not to check out
the tags directory, especially if it ends up containing more than 1 "tag".

Frequently ignored awnser#1 FFmpeg bugs should be sent to our bugtracker. User
questions about the command line tools should be sent to the ffmpeg-user ML.
And questions about how to use libav* should be sent to the libav-user ML.