[FFmpeg-devel] Please clean up incoming

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Thu Oct 23 11:32:34 CEST 2008

On date Thursday 2008-10-23 00:26:38 +0100, Robert Swain encoded:
> 2008/10/23 Aurelien Jacobs <aurel at gnuage.org>:
> > The Wanderer wrote:

> [discussion that seems to be leading to...]
>
> ...some sort of database of the files we have and their properties
> that we can search easily.
>
> Aurelian - skimming your suggestions (which are good from my
> perspective) through coming up with ideas for ways of organising, you
> seem to be essentially coming up with new 'queries'. That is, new
> subsets of properties of the data for which it may be desirable to
> look.
>
> It seems to me that we'd like the system to be somewhat self-managing
> (new files have their properties parsed automagically if possible else
> remain unclassified), easily browsable/searchable to find desired test
> files, flexible enough to search for various different properties
> across different file types.
>
> Maybe symlinks are good enough, maybe not...

+1, a simple but brittle relational virtual file system may be
implemented with symlinks, but maybe we should use a relational DB.

And as someone suggested some time ago, to minimize effort and
duplication such a DB may be shared/administered by many related
projects (FFmpeg, MPlayer, VLC, etc...).

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Fast Fostering MultiPurpose Evanescent God