[FFmpeg-devel] Compiling with Sun cc

Roman V. Shaposhnik rvs
Mon Oct 6 06:41:24 CEST 2008

Hi!

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 17:13 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Sorry if my tone was so bad, (it seems unlike you) I did compile ffmpeg with Sun
> cc and it simply doesn't work with the "normal" optimisations turned on, so IMO,
> it doesn't help arguing "it has a high chance of working".

It worked for me ;-) (and yes I did apply patches here and there, but
they were not intrusive). But then, again, it also depends on what
"it" is. For me "it" == "DV and MPEG2".

> Regarding my background: Could you explain the comment, I don't understand it?

I have an impression I've seen your name involved in quite a few
discussion around GCC in such a way that it almost implied you
being associated with GCC development somehow. Sorry if I mistook
you for somebody else.

> To explain once more: My point about dependencies was just that they don't work
> out-of-the-box (as mem.h and bswap.h needed patches I - also - wrote, MMX
> optimisations just don't work at all afaics).

Well, I'm really glad Diego took the charge of cleaning things up so
that certain things start working out-of-the-box. The only excuse I have
on not doing it myself could be that GNU asm support is still
cooking up in Sun Studio and I didn't want to start the whole thing
before SS can do 100% of FFmpeg at least as good as GCC does it.

> > Unlike folks who actually maintain things
> > around here.
>
> Thank you, now I'm not feeling so bad anymore about using a certain "tone";-)

Yeah, that was kind of the idea ;-) Friends?

Thanks,
Roman.