[FFmpeg-devel] asm vs __asm__: revenge of the underscores

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Oct 2 19:33:28 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 05:17:02PM +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten? wrote:
> flameeyes at gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten?) writes:
>
> > Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
> >
> >> if __asm__ works on more compilers than asm then iam not against switching
> >> i guess a tested! script that replaces them would also be more welcome than
> >> a 100+k patch ...
> >
> > The patch would be 194K for what it's worth ;) I'll prepare a tested
> > script once I can coherce Sun Studio into working at all, although I
> > could prepare it nonetheless, it allows to drop -fasm from commandline
> > (together with a change for typeof) and should a be a bit safer
> > pedantic-wise with GCC too.
>
> Okay I've been able to (almost) make it.
>
> This sed line (with GNU sed!) will change all but two files:
>
> sed -e 's:\<asm\>\(.*\(\<volatile\>\)\?.*(\):__asm__\1:' -i \
>     configure doc/optimization.txt lib*/{.,*}/*.{c,h}
>
> For the remaining two files it's easier for me to give the straight
> patch file.

Iam fine with script and patch assuming there are no objections from
others and you checked what it does change

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates