[FFmpeg-devel] Compiling with Sun cc

Måns Rullgård mans
Thu Oct 2 13:57:04 CEST 2008

Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten? wrote:
> M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com> writes:
>
>> Not all compilers can generate makefile dependencies.  A possible option
>> would be always generate the dependencies with gcc if it is installed.
>
> I know it might sound crazy (well, it sounds crazy to me sincerely,
> since I'm unable to use a box without gcc...) but there could be the
> option to fall back to makedepend if gcc is not installed. Although

That idea has crossed my mind as well.  I don't know makedepend well
enough to tell how feasible this would be.  I probably won't spend
any effort on it, unless someone can make a good case for it, e.g.
an FFmpeg developer wishing to use a system where gcc is not readily
available.

> imake is terrible, it might be available on legacy/niche operating
> systems as well..

Imake has it's share of flaws for sure, but it's a damn sight better at
achieving its intended goal than autoconf/automake.  Was I the only one
to notice the X build times quadruple when they started using autoconf?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com