[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-user] configure can't find existing x264 installationon Debian

Måns Rullgård mans
Fri Nov 14 15:02:20 CET 2008

Panagiotis Issaris wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 11:51 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
>> > Hi Baptiste,

>> > Or we could add a basic encoder... ;-)
>>
>> I am quite strongly opposed to adding basic (i.e. crap) versions of
>> anything, more so when a perfectly good external library exists and
>> is supported.
>
> I disagree. Furthermore, even though libvorbis existed, a Vorbis encoder
> was added.

Do not let sins of the past excuse future mistakes.  I never liked the
addition of that vorbis encoder.

>> If a basic version exists, users will fail to enable
>> the proper support, and they'll get bad encoding results, ultimately
>> tarnishing the reputation of FFmpeg.
>
> Same could be said for adding a Vorbis encoder:
> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t48898.html
>
> And frankly, I disagree cause one can disable it by default or in some
> other way give the external and higher quality encoder the priority. But
> again, even that is not what happened in the Vorbis case.

If it is still enabled by default, I suggest we change that.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com